Monday, August 22, 2011

Why I hate Kyle Orton the Quarterback

Now that Kyle Orton has been named the opening day starter decided this would be a good time to post this. It isn't complete, this is the fan/emotional look.

Look, this is what it comes down to for me, and no argument, discussion, debate or logical statement can change this for me: I hate Kyle Orton the Quarterback. Not the person, the quarterback.

When he came to Denver I was on the Orton fan train. Even got a free Kyle Orton picture from NFL.com at one point (never did anything with it). I watched all of his games in 2009, defended him, saw what he could do, and truly BELIEVED in him as a QB. I never watched him in Chicago, but listened to guys like Doc and Ted way back in the day over at MHR. I bought into the Kyle Orton project, even felt that the drafting of Tebow was the worst idea because Kyle seemed to me as a pretty damn good QB. Went through the whole thing, and when he came out in the 2010 preseason and was lighting it up, it was freaking awesome. VINDICATION! All those noodle arm jokes, dings about his abilities fell to the wayside. Even during the first 6 weeks while my faith was flagging at times, I believed that he was good enough. He showed True Grit in the Tennessee game, he looked great in the game vs the Seahawks. He did an admirable job against the Colts. The Jets game was a heartbreaker.

But then, the Raiders game happened. And after 10 minutes I saw what I see now, a quarterback who is not a leader of the Broncos. Go ahead, debate me, nothing you say will ever change my mind. On that day, he gave up, and the entire team gave up, and that is how it stayed the rest of the season with him as quarterback. Anytime something would go wrong, BAM, offense and defense both just gave up. If I had the endurance I could go back to every game in 2010 and find the exact drive where the team gave up. Week after week this happened, and right wrong or otherwise, a majority of my fan blame and hatred was directed at the quarter back. Because you know as bad as the defense played last year, they were constantly on the field because the offense did NOTHING. This is a fan emotion, and as I looked closer, I found the facts and stats that proved(to me) everything that I felt about Kyle Orton.

So it doesn't matter what he does at this point. The only way I will rejoin the Orton train is if he wins a Super Bowl this year. That is what it will take. I have so much anger towards Kyle Orton the Quarterback that at this point, it doesn't matter anymore. Tebow isn't perfect, but he is the kind of Quarterback I want, a man who inspires people. Rewatch those last 3 games. It is there. The stats may not show it, the win/loss record may not show it, but if you look at the performance of the team, he made everyone around him better, he lifted the team up. Look at the end of week 17 against the Chargers. 3 Nearly impossible things happened. Tebow gets the score with less than 40 seconds left, the team recovers the onside kick, and both of Tebow's hail mary passes bounced off the hands of a receiver.

The rest I have already said about the lack of a true competition, an everything else. But all of that doesn't matter, because I hate Kyle Orton the Quarterback.

No comments:

Post a Comment