Saturday, August 20, 2011

Preseason Week 2: First pass thoughts

So, preface this up front. The Bills SUUUUUUUCK. Fitzpatrick does have a killer Viking beard tho, so from now on I am going to call him Viking.

So, first up is the 1st string defense. Not sure why they weren't able to completely destroy the Bill's O-line, but they were able to hold them to a field goal. The big standouts to me were Doom on run support Von on the pass rush, and Champ Bailey in the slot. I really, really love Champ in the slot. When you blitz on 3rd and long, the slot guy is usually the outlet, and with Champ there I hope to see plenty of failed passes his way. Is it premature to say that Dennis Allen is bringing the kind of Defense that in a year or two could be a top 10? Again this week the defense dictated to the Bills offense, none of that read and react crap that seemed to be festering in the Bronco's for way too long.

This defense is mean. Yes I know Moore's hit was against a defenseless WR. I personally thought it was clean but I am obviously not smart enough (or buff enough if comparing myself to Houcli) to be a ref. But whatever. The other thing I really like is that for the most part, the defense is focusing on fundamentals, tackle, wrap up and put the MoFo on the ground. Do not leave the ground for a flying missile tackle. You look really stupid when you miss.

As for the 1st team offense, for the most part I liked the play of the O-Line. The run game wasn't working as well against the Cowboys, but it got the touchdown when it mattered. And surprise surprise, Kyle looked alright. Context being that this is the Bills, and I have to mention it, for fucks sake, you sacked your self against Chris Kuper. That is that bullshit, and he has done it too many times. So again, Kyle Orton looks just fine when nothing comes near him, but the moment he feels...something....he folds like a deck of cards. But what do I know, I apparently smoke Tebow crack.

I really like the run game this year(so far....). McGahee will punch it in the hole, and Moreno can do some very nice things. They will have to do a lot this year since we are going with Kyle "I grow a crappy neck beard and my bones are made of glass"Orton. Orton will not be effective in the Red Zone without it. Debate it with me all you want, but the only time he was successful in Chicago was when he had Forte as his constant outlet. What we saw tonight was Orton being Orton. He wasn't challenged in any way, and was effective. And that is the best he will ever be, effective. But remember, he looked good in the preseason last year, and we know how that ended.

Then there is Brady Quinn. I think you look like shit. A large % of your passes were check downs or passes in between the numbers. As far as I can tell, you attempted maybe 3 passes outside of the numbers. You STILL don't push the ball down the field, and this was against the 2's tonight/ Yeah, your TD pass was nice.

2nd string D has good spots and it has bad spots. Want to give a shout out to Ted Bartlett's Try Hard White Guy Mike Mohammed. Made some nice plays and I hipe if he doesn't make the team that he can be put on the practice squad.

The 2nd and 3rd string gave up a touchdown, but that is to be expected. But even then, those guys were out there playing aggressive defense, so the aggressive philosophy is everywhere. I like. And since I have a sneaking suspicion that Kyle Orton will lead the offense to plenty of 3 & outs. Yeah, I don't like Kyle Orton, but that is a rant for a different time(and if you read my comments at IAOFM you know how I feel)

Tebow....what can I say? He did nothing, didn't get a chance, and instead of letting him run the 2 minute drill you fucking put in Adam Webber and just let him hand the ball off 2 times???? baaaaah

That is all I got for tonight. More soon. Promise this time since well..more stuff to actually watch.

-- Gotta Knock a Little Harder

2 comments:

  1. I agree that evaluating Tebow is not even possible tonight. Just not enough of a sample.

    If Tebow is crack, what is Orton? Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. @TJ
    Thanks for the visit.

    I think Orton is probably just a plain ham sandwich. It works...but you are left longing for something more...a turkey club at least!

    ReplyDelete