Friday, August 12, 2011

2nd pass: Preseason week 1: Denver vs Dallas

All right, so tonight I am going to give a more in depth look at what I see in the film of this here game. Tonight I will only be focusing on the 1st team offense and 1st team defense. Those of you looking for Tebow talk will have to wait until tomorrow. Very sad I know....but I want to try to make this more manageable to write, and hopefully more manageable to read. I will break this down by position group and describe everything that I see/think is going on while that unit is on the field.

So first up, the most glamorous position in football, the Offensive Line! (gotcha!)
The best thing about this offensive line in my opinion was the run blocking. Orlando Franklin had some problems(as a rookie would, who woulda thunk?), his COMPLETE whiff in the RZ was what killed that run play for a loss. My only concern I guess, and perhaps this is unfounded, but it seemed that every time the Cowboys blitzed, nobody was getting a double team. First play from scrimmage the Cowboys DE came untouched, and if Orton hadn't thrown the ball as high as he did that DE would have had a chance for a pick(more on that later, FOCUS!). Pass blocking against a blitz is a concern, because seemingly Orton got the pass out a half second before he would have been leveled. I doubt it is ever designed to allow your quarter back to have no time to throw, even with the blitz. If that pattern continues given Orton's mobility, he WILL get mauled a lot. This was for the two passes outside of the RZ, I will get to the Red Zone shortly. This group needs time to gel, and I am still waiting to see more film on Beadles and Walton before I make any final calls. Those two were constantly beaten last year, so I can only hope the lack of an offseason didn't hurt their development.

Running Backs:
This was the best part of the 1st team offense. Knowshown and McGahee showed that Fox Ball is possible with these running backs. Knowshown showing the skill we all knew he had, and McGahee both hit the hole hard and got yards, and also did the nifty move where he bounced it outside to the left and gained good yards. Being able to rush the ball 5 times in a row and get 36 yards off of it shows that you are doing something right. The defense was even expecting the runs and the O-Line plus the runners were able to get the job done very well.

Receivers:
Outside of the red zone, there was only one play to speak of, Eric Decker's beautiful catch and run. Great example of taking advantage of the blitz and making a big play on 3rd down. Like this guy, like him a lot. I think it will be interesting to see the WR depth chart and who will be playing where. Will Royal go outside or stay inside at the slot? Will Decker go outside or stay in at the slot. And when Demaryus Thomas is back into the line up, where does that fit. Plus with guys like Matt Willis and Mark Dell, it is nice to see depth at that position. They also did a great job in the run game with their blocking, so...there is a lot of interesting things going on here.

Red zone:
Red zone red zone red zone red zone , what can I say. Orlando Franklin whiffs on a run block completly, 4 failed passes, 1 run play for a loss of yards, a penalty, and only 3 points. Sound familiar? Because I have seen how this story ends. Call me an alarmist, but the defense isn't even showing exotic plays, blitzes or packages and Kyle "I throw such a pretty ball and oooo look at my mechanics" Orton can't get the ball in there. Lets forget about that other QB on the roster and look at Orton's play. To me...the fade route to Lloyd just looked like a bad decision. To me it never looked like Lloyd got any separation. I know he is a beast, but.....

Very next play, nothing again. Offensive Line might not have held up long enough, but Orton just threw it out of the back to Lloyd. Look, all I am saying is that Orton had the threat of a run game down in the red zone (something his supporters have been talking about.....separate argument).

All right, I am tired. I will do 1st string defense tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment