Sunday, August 21, 2011

Preseason Week 2: 1st Team Second Pass

So, I slept on it, and just finished re watching the 1st team offense and defense, and have some additional thoughts.

I was critical during the 1st drive for the first team defense, but upon second watching, I have a much better impression of it. They did a great job stopping the Bills offense, and it was a special teams gaffe that gave up the 4 & 1 conversion. Doom in particular did a great job stopping the runner on 3 & 1. I am hoping (and these past 2 weeks give me this hope) that at his heavier weight plus his experience will allow him to continue to be strong against the run.

The other thing I noticed is that every 3rd down that the Broncos would blitz, Champ was ALWAYS on the slot guy. This could be a tell in the future, but honestly I will take Champ vs any QB in the league and let the chips fall where they may. And others have said it, but holy crap is Von Miller fast. He mis-timed the snap on his off sides call, but even if he had gotten the timing right, that would still have been a sack. I also noticed that Doom and Von were moved around, with Doom being on the Left and Right at different points. The other impressive thing was the fact that Denver's front 4 was able to consistently get pressure on passing downs. Any time they blitzed they were destroying Viking's timing.

The one thing I noticed, and am not sure what the reason behind this, is that there was a ton of action up front, and this huge 5-8 yards in the middle of the field where there were no Bronco jersey's. Probably just the formation, but it helped lead to the Bills bigger gains on those screen passes. But give guys like Vaughn props for being able to stop the screen passes from completely gouging the defense.

As far as the offense goes...what can I say. When Orton plays like that I am happy because the Broncos are willing, but the sack that Orton took is the exact reason why I doubt him. Call me a cynical hater, but it is what it is.

If I have time tomorrow I will watch the second team, and try to contain all my sarcastic hater remarks towards Quinn

No comments:

Post a Comment